I don’t know about you guys, but every time January rolls around I get the urge to change up every room in our home. It’s commonly known as “Rearrange-All-The-Things-Syndrome.” I was diagnosed years ago and through extensive research I’ve found that there is basically no cure. Either you have it or you don’t. There’s no changing it. Well I have a pretty severe case, as you probably know by now, so every January, like clockwork, I get the urge to move anything that isn’t nailed down. Well I recently changed a few things up in our from room. It was nothing major, but just enough to give the room a fresh look. And as I was putting everything back together, I realized that it’s actually very simple to give any room a cozy, farmhouse style vibe. It can literally be done in a jiffy with the right accessories, so that’s what I’m going to share with you fine folks today–how to give any room farmhouse style in just a few minutes. Now, let’s start with a photo of how the room was looking after I got things rearranged.
Ok. So there are two things I want you to notice about this room. 1) The neutral foundation. I mentioned in this post that one of the key ways to get farmhouse style decor in your home is to establish a neutral foundation with your big pieces. I’ve done that here with the furniture, paint color, curtains, and area rug. It’s the first step in the process. 2) The room looks super cold and barren, right? I definitely wouldn’t call it cozy or warm, both of which are major players when it comes to farmhouse style. So my goal was to not only warm up this space with accessories, but to also give it more of a cozy, farmhouse vibe. I grabbed a few of my go-to favorite items and got to work. Here’s the after:
So much better, right? This literally only took me about 15 minutes to throw together. But isn’t it amazing how the right accessories can totally change the vibe of a room? Now this is much more cozy and inviting, like you just want to grab a cup of coffee and hang out for a while.
So it only took a few things to give this room lots of cozy, farmhouse vibes. Here’s what I used:
- Throw pillows. I can’t say enough how throw pillows play a key role in making a room cozy. They’re just so darn important. And you can literally change the style of any room with different pillows. For this look I went with neutral pillows with lots of texture.
- Greenery. Either real or faux, greenery gives any room so much more warmth and life. Before this room was looking a bit cold and sterile, but with a few potted plants and that fiddle leaf tree, the room has more texture.
- Layers: I rarely style any living space without at least two throw blankets. Adding in a few layers of cozy blanket is an easy and fast way to warm up the room.
- Whites & Woods: I used color sparingly here to keep the neutral vibe. Instead I focused on a lot of different shades of white mixed in with a lot of chippy wood and antique furniture to give the room more of a vintage look with character.
- Candlesticks & Old Books: My favorite extras to use are old books and candlesticks. I seem to have them in every room in our home!
That’s it! Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I tell ya, accessories really made all the difference in this room. It has so much more life and personality now compared to the before shot. And it only took a few minutes to take it from cold and sterile to warm and cozy, which is what farmhouse style decor is really all about. Well I hope this gives you a few ideas for your own home. Be sure to check out my other posts on farmhouse style:
Fiddle leaf fig trees:
My favorite faux greenery:
Textured throw pillows:
Others sources in the room:
Check out these other posts on farmhouse style: