Hellllllo there my beautiful friends. Let’s chat self-care today! This is something I’ve really tried to prioritize in the last year or so (we all needed some extra self care in 2020!) and so I thought it would be fun to write a post all about what I do to take care of myself so I can be the best version of me. These are all simple, easy things that bring me joy in my daily life and impact how I feel–mentally, spiritually, and physically.
Self-Care Favorites: Simple Things That Bring Me Joy
- Early morning time to myself, including prayer, reading my devotional, and good cup of coffee. Whenever I make extra time to enjoy the early morning quiet before everyone is awake, I always feel 100% better throughout the day.
- Listen to a good podcast. I’m a huge podcast fan and I’ve found that listening to a great podcast is not only fun, but it’s just adds some extra joy to my day. Especially if I’m in a funk, the right podcast can totally turn my mood around. Usually I’ll pop some earbuds in and listen while I’m doing something mundane, like dishes, laundry, or driving in the car.
- Exercise: I know this is probably on everyone’s self-care list, but I really do need exercise in my life to feel like my best self. And I don’t mean just physically–working out always helps me get my mind right! I shared a whole post about my workout routine here.
- Reading. Whenever I’m super stressed or dealing with a lot of anxiety, I’ve found that reading is very calming for me. I usually do it right before bed and it just helps calm my mind down and distract me from whatever is going on. I read a lot of amazing books in 2020 that helped me grow in my faith–I listed my favorites here.
- CBD + CBD bath. I started taking CBD in 2019 to help when my anxiety was so bad. It helped me through a really hard season of my life and it’s still a part of my daily routine. It makes me feel more emotionally balanced, more patient, and I truly sleep better now than I ever have in my life. This is the brand I use.
- Good Skincare: I very rarely get my nails done and I never do things like get a massage, but I love some good skincare. I decided to start investing in that a few years ago and it’s definitely an important part of my self-care routine. I love lathering up with all my skincare at the end of the day!
- My Green Drink: I’ve recently become obsessed with my green drink (aka Athletic Greens) and I really do look forward to it every day. It’s loaded with tons of vitamins and superfoods, so every time I drink it I feel like I’m thanking my body for all it does each day.
- Time to do nothing and relax: This is a big one for me and something I’ve tried to intentionally do for myself this summer. Just sitting on our back porch, drinking a cup of coffee and watching the kids play is one of my favorite things to do. Sure the kitchen may be a mess, laundry needs to be put away, and work emails might be waiting for a response, but that time to slow down is NEEDED.
- Put the phone down: Since my job is largely based on being on my phone, I’ve found that it’s really important for me to unplug whenever I get the chance. Sometimes that doesn’t happen as often as it should and I always feel the negative ripple effects. But when I am intentional about my schedule and plan time to unplug, aways from social media, I am always better for it.
- Prayer: I saved the best for last–I can’t be the best version of myself with out talking to God as often as possible. I want to pray about everything and have God’s hand in all I do.
Well there it is–my top ten self-care favorites. I’d love to hear what you have on your own list!! And thanks so much for hanging out with me on the blog today. I’m so grateful to have you here. xoxo