Well it’s safe to say our house hunting journey is coming along sloooowly. Turns out I’m one of the pickiest buyers ever, plus the market around here is nuts. This past weekend we put an offer in on a home we really loved, but the buyer just didn’t respond to our offer. Literally, we got no response. And our offer was only 10k under asking price. Plus to make it even worse, the house has been on the market for almost two years! Kinda crazy if you ask me. But I know God has something better in store for us and that house wasn’t meant to be. We are moving on and I’m really excited to see where we end up. I have idea when it will happen, but I really do enjoy this house hunting process and it’s fun to take you all along with us!
Anyway, today I thought it would be fun to share my house hunting wish list. These are all things I’m looking for in our next home and for the most part they’re all kind of non-negotiable for me. And I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I literally wrote this list out on paper to keep me on track throughout this house hunting process!
My House Hunting Wish List
- Acreage: One of the main reasons we are moving is that we want more acreage. I’d LOVE to get chickens one day, plus I want plenty of space for the kids to run and maybe even drive around on 4-wheelers and dirt bikes. I grew up with that kind of childhood and I want my kids to have that too! Ideally I’d love to find something with about 5 to 10 acres. That’s tough to do in our area without spending a fortune, but we’re hoping we can make it happen.
- Lots of Windows: This one is super high on my list because I NEED sunshine in order to function. Really, I don’t think I could ever move into a house that didn’t have tons of windows (and windows positioned the right direction to the sun). That’s one thing I love about our home now–there is so much natural light.
- Four Bedrooms Upstairs: Here’s another big one for me! I love the idea of having all of my kiddo’s bedrooms upstairs, along with the master bedroom. That’s what we have now, but the girls have to share a room. I’d really like each of them to have their own room on the same level as us.
- Open Kitchen + Living Room: I’d love a huge living room and adjacent kitchen with lots of light!
- Home Office: I really need a designated home office in our next home. I have a little working space now, but I’d love my own office with built in shelving.
- Mudroom Space: This one isn’t completely non-negotiable for me, but it’s on my wish list because it would be amazing to have a mudroom in our next home. We have a little one now and it’s SO useful.
- White Doors + Trim: This one isn’t super firm, because we could always the paint doors and trim, but I’d love to find a house with that already done.
- Lots of Character: We live in an area with lots of cookie-cutter homes, so I’d really like to make sure we find something with its own unique character and charm. And you better believe I plan to shiplap alllll the things!
- Wood Floors: Again, this is something we could always do ourselves, but wood floors are expensive! It would be great to find a home with wood floors throughout the main level.
- 60/40 Rule: I made this rule up, but I’ve used it every time we’ve bought a home in the past and it works pretty well. I like to find a house with about 60% of the “work”/ upgrading already done and 40% or so left to do. I obviously love renovating our home, but I want something that doesn’t need a TON of work. I’m looking for that sweet spot! Also getting in that zone really helps build equity too.
Well there’s my top ten list when it comes to house hunting. I could ramble on about other things I’d love in our next home, but I’ll cut it here so I don’t bore you to death. I’d also love to hear what kind of things are on your dream home wish list. Maybe you’ve thought of something I forgot! All right, I’m off to refresh Zillow. Toodles for now! xo