I’ll be honest with you, I’ve been in a creative slump over these past few weeks. I think it’s this ongoing quarantine situation that’s got me thrown off, homeschooling, and of course our very slow house hunting saga. I feel like we’re in this very weird “in-between” place right now and all of these things combined have just wiped out my creative energy lately. It’s like my brain can’t be creative anymore while also comprehending all that’s going on right now. You fellow creative peeps might know what I’m talking about. It’s challenging to feel inspired and share interesting content when there’s a lot of extra stuff happening in your life. I know many of you are probably in a weird, in-between funky place right now too. Obviously life isn’t normal for any of us and we’re all just doing our best to get through this rough season. We all have our own way of getting through tough times, but I thought it might be helpful to share a few things I do when I’m feeling stuck.
Here area a few things I do when I’m feeling in a creative slump- uninspired, frustrated, impatient or just generally stuck in that weird “in-between” place in life:
- First, I always try to dig deeper into my faith. I spend more time in prayer and do my best to remember all the times throughout my life that God has been with me through tough situations. Remembering those times He was faithful really gives me a lot of comfort that everything will work out like it should, in the right timing.
- I try to refocus my attention on what truly matters and what’s most important in my day-to-day life. If a few things have to take the back seat for a while that’s ok. If I miss a blog post here and there, that’s ok. Or If we get take-out dinner for the second (or third) time in a week, that’s ok. If my kids watch another cartoon so I can have a moment to myself, that’s ok. IT’S ALL GOING TO BE OK.
- I take more time to do things I enjoy–even if it’s something small like sitting on the back patio with a cup of coffee and my favorite magazine. And most importantly, I let myself enjoy it without feeling guilty or feeling like I’m being unproductive. Even taking a walk by myself can get the creative juices flowing and help me get a fresh perspective.
- Acknowledge that it’s a tough/weird time, and waiting can be hard, but remember that hard times make us stronger and more resilient. There’s always a lesson in the mess if we’re willing to look for it.
- I remind myself that GOOD things are on the horizon and this weird funk won’t last forever. We will overcome this.
Thanks for hanging in with me during this weird creative slump. Balancing life as a homeschool teacher, mama of three, wife, blogger and house hunter is definitely a lot to manage some days, but I’m grateful to have this kind community here every day. I also want to encourage any of you that are also in a weird place right now– I hope you’re giving yourself some grace. It’s all going to be ok! xoxo
PS: If there’s anything specific you’d like to see here on the blog please let me know. I’d love to hear your ideas!