10 Creative Ways to Use Wicker Baskets
I’m just going to come out and say it: I have a wicker basket OBSESSION. And I actually didn’t even realize how far my obsession has gone until just a few days ago when my husband made a comment about how many “baskets we have sitting around the house”. And you know what? He’s right. I couldn’t argue with him. We do in fact have an abnormal amount of wicker baskets in our home. But in my defense, they serve a dual purpose of both decor and storage. I use them in pretty much every room of our home–the living room, dining room, the kids’ room, even the kitchen. They’re definitely one of my favorite things to decorate with, so today I thought it would be fun to share 10 creative ways to use wicker baskets in your home!
10 WAYS TO USE WICKER BASKETS IN YOUR HOME
1.Linen closet storage. I love using wicker baskets for storing towels and sheets in our linen closet. They keep everything nice and organized, but also add a lot of pizazz to this little space. You can also use them in your pantry too.
2. Side table decor. Who says you can’t use a wicker tray on top of a side table? I did this recenlty in our bedroom and I LOVE it. It adds so much warmth and texture to an otherwise simple table.
3. For the Plants. One of my favorite ways to use wicker baskets is with greenery–both faux and real! I recently put my new fiddle tree in a wicker basket and I love how it looks. Just be sure to use a ceramic pot or planter for the tree itself, then disguise it with a basket!
4. Basket Vase. Last year I used this unique vase shaped basket (from Marshalls) to hold faux flowers in our living room and it was such a fun look. You could re-create this look with any floral stems and a large basket!
5. Wall Decor + Storage. A few years ago I made this simple family command center in our hallway and my favorite part was the hanging wall baskets. These are so cute and functional, right?! See similar baskets here.
6. Baskets for Extra Texture + Warmth. I love keeping a wicker basket or two on our hearth for extra texture and warmth. That white brick can be a little cold and barren, so adding in a few baskets really helps to cozy up this spot.
7. Baskets On Top of Cabinets. If you have a large bookcase or cabinet like this vintage pie safe, try adding a few baskets to the top for a little extra pizazz. This draws the eye upward and it’s also a great way to get more storage.
8. Baksets for a Centerpiece. I’m a huge fan of wicker trays and I love using them to create centerpieces. This was a fun summer look I put together, but you can use a wicker tray year round on your dining table or coffee table. Just add a little greenery, maybe a candle, and a stack of old books. Easy peasy!
9. Baskets for Throw Pillows. Large baskets are great for storing extra throw pillows in your living room or even a bedroom. I love filling rectangular shaped baskets with pillows and then placing it on a table or next to the sofa.
10. Baskets with Color. Last but not least, I have to mention using baskets as a way to incorporate more color into your home. You can find wicker baskets in just about any color nowadays, or you can even paint your own! Even a black wicker tray like this one here can really add a lot to a space.
Well I hope that helps spark a little creativity and maybe gives you an idea or two for how you can use wicker baskets in your own home. The possibilities really are endless! I rounded up a few baskets I love here:
I love the ways you have used baskets throughout your home! My two favorites are the vase basket with the cherry blossom branches and the tray on your nightstand. You have created a beautiful home for your family.
Sarah> Odessa Graham
thank you Odessa!! xo
I’m with you, Sarah! You simply can’t have TOO many wicker baskets!! From my perch in my living room right now, I spy no fewer than 12 without even turning my head! I so regret missing out on the round black tray from Target that you have between your recliners…so perfect! Another fave is your use of round trays on your nightstands. Bravo and keep on inspiring!!😘
Oh wow, you have quite the collection!! Glad I’m not the only one!
I too am obsessed with wicker trays!!! I soo love your command center wall, gave me an inspiring decor idea!! Thanks Sarah!! I enjoyed these ideas!!🙌
Glad it gave you a few ideas Kate! xo
Becky A Johnson
I love baskets too Sarah. Although I do tend to put things in them just to hide that object for a bit. 6mo. Later finding it. Lol It’s like shopping all over again. Haha! 😊💛💚
I found it helpful when you said to use a basket as a centerpiece with a candle or an old stack of books. Since we just bought a new house, I want to add some rattan baskets around the living room and in the windows to add to our lighter aesthetic. I’ll be sure to find ones that are a good price and where I can put my blankets in.