Goooooooood morning and happy Monday! It’s an exciting day around here because today I get to show you the magical powers of beadboard. Yep, today I get to share the exact process we did to to cover our tile backsplash with beadboard. Whoot whoot! Now as you probably know, we recently finished our kitchen remodel, which I shared in this post last week. Well our funky backsplash was one of the biggest obstacles we had to overcome in that renovation. It was a multi-colored block design fully equipped with lots of orange and dark brown. I wasn’t loving it by any means, so it definitely needed to go. We talked about a TON of different ways to replace it without spending a fortune (we even thought about painting it!) but ultimately we decided that covering the tile with beadboard was the way to go. I haven’t seen any tutorials for this kind of thing, so I wasn’t sure how it would work. But I’m happy to say it went perfectly and the results are pretty darn awesome. And I think you’ll be surprised to see that it was actually a simple process. All righty, let’s get started. Here’s how the kitchen looked when we began:
This tile backsplash didn’t jive with my style, obviously. I really tried to love it for two years, but it just wasn’t happening. I was actually hoping that I’d change my mind once we had the new quartz countertops installed, but I disliked it even more with the new tops. That tile definitely needed to go!
1. Before doing anything the first step was cleaning the tile. I just used hot soapy water to get the job done. Next up we took off the outlet covers.
2. We started by measuring the backsplash so we knew exactly how much space we needed to cover. Then we bought several 4ft sheets of beadboard from Home Depot. They’re only $10 a sheet, so the whole project was super affordable.
3. Next we cut all of the beadboard to size using a table saw. We started in the far corner of the kitchen, measuring each piece as we went and making sure to do cutouts for all the outlets or any other spots we needed to work around, like the window above the sink.
4. Our strategy was to get all of the pieces cut to size before adhering them to the tile. Once we had one piece cut we’d lay it up against the tile (like the photo below) and then move onto cutting the next piece.
5. Once we had all of the boards cut we decided it would be easiest to paint them first before adhering them to the tile. I’m SO happy we did it this way because it really saved us a lot of time. And painting them in our dining room was MUCH easier than painting them squished under the cabinets. We used Behr Ultra Pure White in satin finish.
6. Next up it was time to adhere the beadboard to the tile! We used heavy duty construction adhesive for this part. This stuff works with tile and masonry, plus it dries really fast, so that’s what we went with and it worked really well.
7.We put a generous amount on the back of each piece and then firmly placed each one on the tile!
The key with this part was to make sure to firmly press each piece against the tile and hold it for about 30 seconds or so. This is definitely a two person job because you need to be certain that each piece is securely in place and lined up evenly before moving on to the next one.
Piece by piece we worked our way around the kitchen.This part took maybe 20 minutes at most. Easy peasy.
8. Once we had all of the pieces on we simply put the outlet covers back in place (you can use these extenders if you need some extra length) then the final step was going around the top and bottom of the beadboard with acrylic latex caulk plus silicone to seal everything. Make sure whatever caulk you are using has silicone it in, since it will be exposed to water.
And that’s it! All done.
One more shot of the before and after:
I really can’t believe how well this worked and how it transformed out kitchen. I absolutely love it. Overall it cost us about $200 by the time we bought everything and got it done. And honestly, I’m so glad we did this instead of ripping out the old tile and replacing it with something new. Not only did it save us a TON of money and time, but I really love the warmth and texture that the beadboard gives. It’s a nice combination with the sleek quartz countertops and it gives the whole kitchen a very cottage-y vibe.
We’ve been living with this now for about two weeks and in that time it’s been easy to clean and there have been no issues whatsoever. And I honestly don’t anticipate having any problems. We sealed it with a heavy duty silicone caulking, so there should be no issues with water getting under the wood. I thought about sealing it further with a clear polycrylic, but I know sometimes that can cause white paint to yellow over time so I hesitate to do that. I really think this will hold up well and I do plan to post updates on how it’s doing every six months or so.
Thanks so much for dropping by the blog today. I hope you all have a fabulous week ahead. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions!
KITCHEN SOURCES (click the lower right side of any image below for more info):
Other posts you might want to check out: